Feast of the Patron Saint of Florence with Florentine historical football, religious celebrations and fireworks
The Feast of Saint John in Florence is a very special day, which is celebrated every year on June 24th in the historic centre of the city.
The program of celebrations for the feast of the Holy Patron of the city is as follows:
– at about 8.30 am: a small town hall follows the town’s banner to the Baptistery of Saint John, where Candles and Cross are brought as gift;
– at 10.30 am: Mass in the Duomo of Florence at the presence of the main lay and religious authorities. In the Duomo (or Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore) the voices of the Cappella Musicale and Pueri Cantores of Santa Maria del Fiore and of the choir of the white voices of the Maggio Musicale Fiorentino will blend together directed by M° Lorenzo Fratini in collaboration with the sacred music show O Flos Colende;
– at 04:00 pm: the Historical Court of the Florence City starts from Piazza Santa Maria Novella along the main streets of the historic centre – Via de’ Banchi, Via Tornabuoni, Via Strozzi, Piazza della Repubblica, Via Calzaiuoli, Piazza della Signoria, via della Ninna, Via de’ Neri – to arrive in Piazza Santa Croce before the start of the historic football;
– at 05:00 pm : the final of the Florentine Historic Football, where two of the four districts of Florence (who have passed the semi-finals) will challenge in a game that dates back to the Renaissance;
– at 10:00 pm : Fireworks of Saint John, which will start from Piazzale Michelangelo and that are visible throughout the city and beyond.
Treat yourself to a magical break in occasion of the Fireworks of Saint John and let yourself be charmed by an unedited Florence illuminated by a thousand lights in the evening of Wednesday 24th June 2017. We wait for you at the Hotel Brunelleschi for a magical night or just for a dinner waiting for the fireworks of the Feast of St. John.
Restaurant Florence for the Feast of Saint John 2017
The Hotel Brunelleschi is just at few steps from Lungarno, where you can enjoy a privileged view of the fireworks in honour of the Patron Saint of the city.
While you are waiting for the fireworks show, we propose you a delicious Tuscan dinner at the Osteria della Pagliazza, in an exclusive location such as Piazza Santa Elisabetta and the Byzantine Tower of Pagliazza, or a delicious gourmet dinner at the Santa Elisabetta Restaurant (always in the Tower of Pagliazza but on the first floor). This year, chef Rocco De Santis proposes a tasty gourmet menu made with the collaboration of the Farm Ca’ del Bosco.
Hotel for the Feast of Saint John Florence
Instead, if you want to stay for the night and enjoy all the magic of this special summer night find out and choose one of our rooms and suites, most of them with a view over the Brunelleschi’s Dome and the Giotto’s Bell Tower. We inform you that it is possible to make online bookings directly from our official website at the best rate guaranteed on the internet, in a fast and secure way and with the free internet connection Wi-Fi included in the price for the all duration of the stay.
Photo credits – Calcio Storico Fiorentino Official Website