Brunelleschi’s Dome, passion, history, culture
The Brunelleschi’s Dome has always been one of the most popular, loved and photographed symbols of the entire territory of Florence. A true emblem of the city’s cultural and artistic greatness. The Brunelleschi’s Dome is the coverage of the cruise of the Duomo of Florence and, at the same time, the largest masonry Dome ever built, formed by two spherical vaults placed one on top of the other, the internal one more than two meters thick and the external one just 80 centimeters. The Brunelleschi’s Dome in Florence stands in one of the most fascinating place of the entire Italy, in the lovely Piazza del Duomo among buildings of staggering historical wealth, such as the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, Giotto’s Bell Tower, the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo, the Palazzo Strozzi and the Canons. The delightful Brunelleschi, the 4-star hotel is located right behind it, in a privileged position.
Brunelleschi’s Dome history
The construction of the Brunelleschi’s Dome was opened on August 7th, 1420 and assigned to the two most talented artists of that period: Filippo Brunelleschi and Lorenzo Ghiberti, the latter ousted five years later. The work was officially completed on August 1st, 1436 with the solemn blessing of Pope Eugenius IV. The yard work resumed during 1446 for the construction of the lantern, always entrusted to Brunelleschi, replaced after his death by his friend and follower Michelozzo di Bartolomeo. The work was finished after four decades by Antonio Manetti during April 1461, and changed forever the landscape of the city, giving the world a masterpiece of absolute greatness, witnessed of the great genius of Italian art and of its architecture school.
The Brunelleschi’s Dome is based on an octagonal drum and it is divided into eight segments or sails. It was built with a revolutionary technique, called to support the enormous weight of 25,000 tons and was definitely inspired by the Dome of the Baptistery. The decorative work began during 1572 and were first conducted by Vasari and then by Federico Zuccaro. The latter was the author, in a few years, of the immense figurative cycle in tempera, one of the largest in the world. The 4-star Hotel Brunelleschi in Florence center, was established in honor of the Brunelleschi’s Dome, symbol of world art, visible in all its grandeur from the windows of the hotel rooms.
Brunelleschi’s Dome opening hours
The Brunelleschi’s Dome is open daily from 8.30 to 18.20.
The ticket costs 15 € and gives access to the Brunelleschi’s Dome, Giotto’s Campanile and the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo.
The times of access to the monuments are subject to changes in time due to extraordinary events.
The museum will be closed on the first Tuesday of each month.
Brunelleschi’s Dome information
- Entry via the Porta della Mandorla (north side of the cathedral)
- No ticket office at the entrance
- Visitors are required to climb 463 steps
- No lifts (elevators) are available
- The climb is not recommended for people suffering from heart problems, vertigo or claustrophobia
- Reservation reccomanded
Brunelleschi’s Dome, a feast for the eye in the charm of Florence!